Click the item in the table below to skip to your most pressing question, or continue to read the whole review.
Infant Optics DXR-8 Baby Monitor – In-depth Review
Baby monitors have provided parents convenience and a sense of security for years. The Infant Optics DXR-8 has taken the things we love about monitors and exceeded expectations. It utilizes a 3.5-inch monitor to produce a crystal-clear view of your baby from any room within range. If you have never used a video-baby monitor, now may be the time for you to experience the peace of mind they can offer!
Before we get into the incredible features that the Infant Optics DXR-8 video-baby monitor offers, let’s discuss why we need monitors and the safety concerns experts have toward them. It is in your best interest to only purchase baby products that you feel are safe for your home.
Who Are Infant Optics?
Infant Optics has been a leader in creating and building high-quality baby monitors since 2011. They pride themselves on designing monitors with cutting-edge technology that advances the way parents and caregivers can keep a watchful eye on their precious infants.
When you purchase an Infant Optics video baby monitor, you are also backed by amazing customer-service support. If any issues arise, there are live agents who can be called on every day of the week. You won’t need to worry about addressing issues through a sometimes slow or completely unresponsive email service, that some companies offer. When it comes to proper operation and the safety of your children, Infant Optics choose to solve problems with live experts. We feel that this exceptional support puts an Infant Optics video monitor in its own premium category.
We love the fact that Infant Optics only makes monitors that operate without WIFI. While wireless internet is great for streaming videos and providing internet to our portable devices, it creates insecurity in wireless baby monitors. Losing a WIFI signal (especially if you don’t notice right away) can pose a dangerous situation for a sleeping newborn. It also makes it possible for potential hackers to gain a view into your home by accessing your monitors. Privacy and security are two factors that Infant Optics exceeds in.
Infant Optics also take their consumers very seriously. Valuing feedback and comments from actual parents, they use advice to enhance new models and even update existing monitors. Their CEO states, “We intend to become the most trusted baby monitor brand in USA with our focus in after-sales customer service.” Truly a company who has their consumers in mind when developing baby products!
Why You Need a Video Baby Monitor
Every parent will agree, babies (especially newborns) require an extreme amount of attention to remain safe. A video-baby monitor makes it possible for parents to keep an eye on their precious children from different rooms in the home. While under supervision from a video monitor, parents can spend some much-needed time on themselves and children are able to become familiar with having their own space.
Video baby monitors offer some amazing opportunities over a traditional audio-only monitor. Here are some great reasons to get your Infant Optics DXR-8 today!
- A Parent’s Watchful Eye – Being able to monitor your baby’s actions while in a different room is invaluable. With the Infant Optic’s DXR, you can ensure that your child is safe and secure while you tackle necessary household tasks. A video monitor provides you with much more security than a conventional audio-only monitor. Especially for those with multiple children, you can see which child is in distress and plan your actions more efficiently.
A video monitor makes it easy to ensure your babies are sleeping comfortably and safely. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that roughly 900 infant deaths occurred in 2015 due to accidental suffocation and strangulation in bed. Witnessing your infant entering a dangerous sleeping position provides you with an opportunity to correct them before disaster ensues.
Video monitors are also great for keeping an eye on older toddlers. It’s simple to view a curious child once they realize they can climb out of their cribs when mom and dad aren’t around. Once they begin this behavior, you’ll know it is time to adjust the crib’s height levels to keep them contained and safe.
- Making Sure Baby is Sleeping Well – Viewing your child’s sleeping pattern ensures they are getting the right amount of snooze time. The ability to accurately track the amount of sleep your child is getting isn’t possible with an audio-only monitor. This is because it is common for children to toss and turn without making noise. An Infant Optics camera makes it possible to know exactly how much sleep your child is getting. You’ll have the opportunity to analyze and correct sleeping issues.
According to the National Sleep Foundation, newborns should be sleeping 14-17 hours each day. While this sleep will be disrupted by feedings and diaper changes, it’s important that an infant meets these requirements. Video monitoring allows parents to become accustomed to their children’s sleep habits and schedule necessary disturbances around their behaviors.
Sleep training a toddler is different for every parent, but typically comes with many challenges and obstacles. Your toddler has probably learned which strings to pull to get your attention, especially when one is fussy but not ready to fall asleep. A video-monitoring system makes it possible for parents to judge if their child is in need or they are crying to avoid their bedtime! It may be hard for parents to stay strong through sleep-training their baby. However, it is important to only intervene when a child needs assistance, not attention.
Are Wireless Video-Baby Monitors Safe?
Baby monitors have been tools parents have relied on for decades and have never really shown any negative health aspects except the risk of baby becoming tangled in the cords. But it’s the 21st Century and it seems manufacturers in every market are attempting to rid the world of corded appliances. It seems we all rely on rechargeable batteries and wireless technology for everyday purposes, even for today’s baby monitors.
There has been a lot said about the risk of WIFI and cell phone radiation exposure. While no real evidence has been shown for negative health effects in baby monitors, experts expect direct exposure may turn up serious diseases. Experts say to keep these devices at least three feet away from your child’s crib to lessen negative impacts.
Another danger posed by wireless-video monitors is the risk of wrongdoers gaining access to the monitor through hacking. The Infant Optics video baby monitor uses frequencies other than WIFI that make it harder for others to access. Make sure you know what you are buying when in the market for a monitor. Models that do rely on WIFI should be secured by using uncommon passwords and occasionally checking your network for unauthorized users.
We feel that using a video-baby monitor responsibly contains plenty of positives. While a monitor may help parents gain a little down time, make sleep training easier and allow children a sense of independence, they should not be abused. Even if you can watch your child from any room in the house, there is still a level of bonding that cannot be recreated through a monitor’s microphone. Make sure you’re still spending plenty of quality time with your child while awake!
Infant Optics DXR-8 – What You Need to Know
The first of its kind, The Infant Optics DXR-8 baby monitor offers interchangeable lenses. For the first time in baby video monitoring, you have options on how you will view your child’s surroundings. For instance, the close-up lens is perfect for seeing your baby’s sleeping habits. You will be granted an intimate perspective to your baby’s breathing patterns and sleep efficiency. This close view of your child gives you peace of mind that your baby is sleeping safely.
Once your baby becomes more active and undoubtedly curious, the panoramic lens can be used to show the entirety of a room. Allowing your children to explore their bedrooms alone gives them a boost in independence. The panoramic lens built into the Infant Optics DXR-8 gives parents the confidence that they are doing so safely. Keep in mind, this wide-view lens is sold separately but well worth the purchase at an average cost of only $12.
Controlling the Infant Optics DXR-8 camera is also a breeze. This model features a remote-controlled ability to pan and tilt in different directions. This is especially handy for when your little loved one discovers a portion of the room that may be hidden from a stationary view. Equipped with a large 3.5-inch LCD screen, you’ll have no trouble seeing every move your baby makes. Parents are thrilled with the crystal-clear quality the Infant Optics monitor displays.
Infant Optics DXR-8 Additional Features
Another benefit we are thrilled about is how easy it is to communicate with your baby thanks to the Infant Optics DXR-8 baby monitor. The push-to-talk intercom makes it easy to talk to your child from a different room. Soothing a restless baby or alerting a toddler to begin cleaning their play area because dinner is almost ready can make home life easier. The two-way communication is extremely beneficial for all stages of your child’s developing years. The DXR-8 also features sound-activated LED lights. These LEDs illuminate when your baby’s voice is noticed, which is a great way to catch your attention if you have the volume turned down.
Let’s talk about how non-intrusive this model is to a child’s sometimes fragile sleep! Light sleepers should take no notice to the amount of noise produced by this unit. Even the motor that tilts the camera is quiet, meaning you will be able to adjust your views without the fear of causing a disturbance. Night-vision mode is also inconspicuous. The DXR-8 uses eight infrared lights to make seeing at night easy! The featured light sensors determine when it is dark enough to turn the infrared lights on automatically. You are also able to toggle the ways the unit will alert you of issues like low battery or being out of range. The included software eliminates a warning triggered by annoying beeps that are sure to wake baby and can drive parents crazy.
Some other awesome features include the ability to charge anywhere a USB outlet is available as well as the great battery life. Think of how many USB ports are available to you around the house (laptops, cellphones, or tablet charging stations) and you’ll realize you probably have a suitable charging location in nearly every room! The lithium battery is rated to last up to 10 hours in power-saving mode and six hours while the screen is active. It makes portability a valuable option. There is also a handy temperature-monitoring system which gives you accurate temperatures based on where the camera is being used. It’s a great way to make sure your baby is comfortable!
The Infant Optics video baby monitor works using Frequency-hopping spread spectrum (FHSS) rather than WIFI. Don’t worry, we had to search that term too! According to the experts at Tech Target, FHSS transmission is the repeated switching of frequencies during radio transmission to reduce interference and avoid interception. It is said to be extremely useful in countering eavesdropping. What it means for the Infant Optics DXR-8 is that it is nearly impossible for unwanted access from other people.
Overall, the Infant Optics DXR-8 is an awesome option when considering video baby monitors on the market. Some may find it more expensive than what they can easily afford, but at around $170 (don’t forget the wide-view camera for a small cost) you will easily get your money’s worth. This multi-angle ability is designed to grow with your child and makes viewing their activity nonintrusive, even during their toddler years!
Infant Optics DXR-8 Review – Pros & Cons
We have thoroughly dissected Infant Optics baby monitor reviews and have realized that the DXR-8 is a solid video-baby monitor that parents love! Read on to see what actual users are saying before you decide if this model is right for you.
- Great for Toddlers – Parents adore the concept of being able to change the view to fit their unique rooms. Children can spend time in their own personal space without a parent overlooking their shoulders. Let’s be honest, it can be tiring for an adult to try and keep up with a toddler who is discovering new levels of energy! No shame in taking a minute for yourself and the Infant Optics camera makes it possible.
- Great for Multiple Children – Families who need supervision for more than one room are finding great things to say about the Infant Optics DXR-8! This unit can support up to three add-on cameras that pair easily. It also uses a scan mode which automatically checks in with different cameras every ten seconds. The only downside of the additional cameras is the price. The add-ons usually cost around $100, meaning you can spend quite a bit of money setting this up for a four-camera operation.
- Unprecedented Customer Service – Reviewing parents who experienced issues with their model received excellent customer service when trying to resolve issues. Some parents even received free replacements after the warranty period was over. Infant Optics truly cares about the safety of the children.
- No Reliability on WIFI – You have surely seen the news stories where baby monitors have been attacked by unwanted hackers. The thought that a stranger can watch your children’s activity and even communicate through the on-board microphone is not only frightening but also incredibly perverse. The connection system the Infant Optics DXR-8 uses is much less likely to become compromised.
While this video-baby monitor received rave reviews from most parents, there were a few flaws they wished Infant Optics would have resolved before release. While the issues are minor, parents feel these flaws should be improved.
- Mounting Issues – Parents claim that the mounting design is not the most effective. The single mounting hole makes positioning difficult. Some users could only achieve suitable positions if the camera was mounted upside down. Not a huge deal until you consider images cannot be flipped on the monitor. Your choice is to physically turn the monitor but is awkward to do so if you need to use the on-board antenna. It caused a bit of annoyance for some parents.
- Battery Issues – After some time, parents have developed problems with the battery holding a charge. Some claim that turning off the video and relying on audio-only helps matters, but noone wants a monitor that lacks video. It is possible to keep the monitor plugged in during usage but it restricts your portability options. Infant Optics did reach out to most reviewers having battery issues to supply a replacement. There may have been a few bad batches as this was not a big complaint.
Overall, we feel the Infant Optics DXR-8 is a solid purchase and worth every penny! Click here to see price and purchase on Amazon