Click the item in the table below to skip to your most pressing question, or continue to read the whole review.
- 1 mamaRoo Reviews – Innovative. Impressive. Inspiring.
- 1.1 About the 4moms Brand
- 1.2 What is a mamaRoo?
- 1.3 Operating your mamaRoo
- 1.4 mamaRoo vs. Swings & Bouncers
- 1.5 Safety Standards
- 1.6 mamaRoo Reviews – Pros & Cons
- 1.7 Different Models
mamaRoo Reviews – Innovative. Impressive. Inspiring.
Are traditional swings and bouncers not working to keep your baby comfortable? There is a powerhouse on the market that creates a unique experience for children and parents, alike. Whether you are looking at a new option for your child or you are preparing for the birth of your bundle of joy, the 4moms mamaRoo infant swing may be just what you need. Our in-depth mamaRoo review will surely help you decide if this innovative swing is right for you.
A stellar blend of imagination, comfort and technology make the mamaRoo chair an exciting option for your growing family. Designed with five soothing motions, your child will get the feeling they are on a new adventure each time you strap them in. Over 300 hospitals use this 4moms baby swing due to its ability to recreate the familiar feeling experienced in utero.
About the 4moms Brand
Founded in 2006, in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, 4moms has been a leader in manufacturing high-end equipment for babies and toddlers. In 2015, they landed the #21 spot on Forbes’ “America’s Most Promising Companies.” This is no accident, 4moms is efficient in creating engaging and innovative products that children and parents love!
You can find various 4moms products in popular stores like Babies “R” Us, buybuyBABY, Amazon and hundreds of different specialty stores in 52 different countries throughout the world.
You may be surprised to learn that the 4moms brand was actually developed by two dads! Robert Daley and Henry Thorne used their extensive backgrounds in robotics to inspire their incredible baby products. In fact, Thorne once programmed gigantic robots used to weld frames to popular General Motor vehicles. He is quoted as saying, “These mini-robots (in baby products) are more complex than the robots used in assembly lines.”
Standing behind the words, “Good enough isn’t; awesome is,” 4moms continues to pave the way in the robotic-baby product market. You can be sure you are getting a well-engineered, quality product when you shop, 4moms!
What is a mamaRoo?
It’s hard to describe this bodacious 4moms product that sits in its own category in baby products. It’s not quite a swing, not quite a bouncer, let’s just call it – The Unprecedented Baby Seat. It uses the traditional aspects of a swing/bouncer that parents rely on and took it above and beyond next level. 4moms products are all about pushing ordinary into new and inventive ways and the mamaRoo is no exception.
It is absolutely packed with features that some may find unconventional, but we love that 4moms is staying ahead of the curve and introducing stellar technology in baby products. We also love how the versatile motion options featured on the 4moms mamaRoo bouncer make it easy to find your baby’s favorite movement. You can choose from five different soothing motions:
- Car Ride – Your child will get the feeling that they are traveling up and down gentle hills. For some babies, the idea of a road trip is the perfect opportunity to relax!
- Kangaroo – A motion that creates a gentle back-and-forth bouncing rhythm.
- Tree Swing – You can probably imagine how this motion works. This sweet rocking motion follows the shape of a “U” and gives babies the feeling they are being rocked in their parent’s loving arms.
- Rock-a-Bye – The opposite of the tree swing motion, this one goes back and forth in the other direction, making an arch. Another great rocking motion that will surely give your child a sense of security.
- Wave – Babies can make a continuous round trip on the mamaRoo’s base with this setting.
Operating your mamaRoo
Now that you are familiar with the different motions this innovative seat can perform, you should know how easy it is to operate. On the base of this model is an LCD interface where you can control the different motions with one fingertip. Sounds great, right?
While that is an extremely easy way to operate this unit, it’s not as impressive as controlling it from the couch! Enabling the mamaRoo Bluetooth and pairing it to a device loaded with the 4moms app, your phone or tablet becomes a remote control. This can be huge when you are enjoying a well-earned break that are sometimes hard to find with an infant in the house.
There is also a stationary Toy Bar in case your child needs more entertainment than music and motion. The three, reversible-patterned balls almost feel underwhelming when compared to the other incredible features on this model. MamaRoo reviews show that some children love reaching for the toys while others hardly notice them. It’s nice that the toys are there but we feel 4moms could have used more creativity when designing this simple aspect of the seat.
Another cool aspect is its ability to play music from any mp3 player! This is especially cool because rather than using only preloaded lullabies, you can entertain your child with any song you would like.
mamaRoo vs. Swings & Bouncers
Why should you choose a mamaRoo over a more traditional swing or bouncer? While these products are great tools in the battle to soothe a restless baby, they all serve their own unique purposes.
The mamaRoo is different from a bouncer or swing in the distinct movements it is capable of. 4moms even advertises it as so, “Bounces up and down and sways from side to side, just like parents do.” Swings are typically only capable of two different movement variations: side-to-side and head-to-toe. A bouncer is usually still (minus vibration settings) without help from a parent or a baby who has learned how to make it move! All three are great resting areas for babies but the mamaRoo is the premium option loaded with features.
Can baby sleep in mamaRoo? Well, that’s a complicated subject. Experts don’t recommend a baby using any type of infant seat for a sleeping fixture. But, based on mamaRoo reviews, most parents say their child easily falls asleep while experiencing the different motions it makes. It is important to supervise your child if they do take a short nap while in the unit. We’ll go into the safety risks that infant seats pose to sleeping children, later.
The weight limit for mamaRoo (25lb) is about five pounds less than most traditional swings. We don’t think that should be an issue as a lot of children grow out of swing etiquette before they reach the weight max. Experts say, once a child begins attempting to get out on their own, it’s time to stop use of the infant seat. It can be incredibly dangerous if a child manages their way out of a moving swing.
The baby product market is flooded with options of bouncers and swings from many manufacturers. Don’t get us wrong, it is great to have so many choices, but it can be intimidating when trying to figure out the differences in similar models. While manufacturers were trying to one up their competitor’s latest swing models, 4moms was quietly developing the stellar mamaRoo. By not having any real competition for this type of seat, they set the bar and now other manufacturers must play catch up.
So, the choice of which type of infant seat is the right choice depends on the preference of each individual person. However, we feel the mamaRoo gives parents and children greater benefits than a traditional swing or bouncer. Its lightweight, compact size makes it much easier when traveling or taking to different rooms.
The Bluetooth controls, mp3 player, unique motion settings and a design that looks like something you would see on The Jetsons are nothing without safety. The team at 4moms understands this and created a safe seat for your child to relax in. The different angle options make it possible to adjust the seat to the safest position based on your child’s posture.
4moms has developed the mamaRoo with safety and technology in mind. The sturdy base is fit for supporting your child’s weight until 25lbs. MamaRoo reviews show that when in motion, the seat sways at a comfortable speed which keeps baby from being jostled around.
A three-point safety harness also does a great job of hugging your baby during their time in the seat. It’s also adjustable to grow with them. For smaller infants and extra security, 4moms also offers an infant insert. This insert is available in different patterns, making it even more compatible with home décor.
We mentioned earlier that the mamaRoo is suitable for a child to fall asleep in, though it is important we stress safe-sleeping standards. Infant seats are not replacements for a crib or bassinet. Let’s look at a brief overview of baby sleeping guidelines as reported by The American Academy of Pediatrics.
Sleeping in an infant seat can be dangerous for babies, especially those younger than four months old. The APA says they may assume positions that can create a risk of suffocation or airway obstruction and lack the movement capabilities to get out of an asphyxiating situation.
There is nothing wrong with using an infant seat to soothe a fussy baby and help them fall asleep. However, if they do fall asleep, the APA recommends removing your baby from the seat and placing them in their permanent sleeping fixture to continue their slumber. For the first year, your child should sleep on their back. Experts state that it is the most effective position to lower the chances of SIDS.
Most parents know that picking up a sleeping baby will usually result in a “not so” sleepy baby, but the risks of seat sleeping can be dangerous. If you choose to intend to use an infant seat for sleeping purposes, it is crucial to keep your child under strict supervision!
mamaRoo Reviews – Pros & Cons
As with any product, users found both good and not so good things when putting this 4moms baby swing to work. Overall, consumers are impressed with the unique, futuristic design of this innovative seat. It is also loaded with creative features that some deemed useful, while others determined they were overboard for their needs. Let’s take a deeper look at what consumers are saying. We have analyzed real mamaRoo reviews from the most important source – the parents!
- Style – The mamaRoo can add a modern touch to any home decor. Its technology-loaded base makes a unique shape and features an LCD-touch panel to control the unit. This touch screen lets you control the different motion and music settings, including volume, speed and song choice.
The seat itself comes in two different versions – plush and classic. Both fabrics are easily removable and machine washable. This is a feature parents love when their baby gets too messy! mamaRoo reviews reveal that both options are attractive and very comfortable for children.
- State-of-the-Art Technology – The incredible technology built into the mamaRoo gets parents excited. Paired with the 4moms app, you have the ability to operate the mamaRoo chair right from your phone or tablet. Parents find operating the app a simple process. Think of it as a portable version of the LCD panel fixed on the unit. It’s amazing for wirelessly adjusting settings for a fussy baby!
- Long Usage – The mamaRoo weight max is 25 lbs. Recommended beginning weight starts at just five pounds, so your child will get plenty of beneficial time in this seat before outgrowing it. While there is no mamaRoo age limit listed, be sure to watch your baby’s behavior when deciding the appropriate time to eliminate usage.
- Assembly & Storage – Various mamaRoo reviews reveal parents are over-the-moon at the ease of assembly and the compact box it comes in for storing the seat in between babies!
Out of the box assembly for the mamaRoo is simple! The “smart” aspects which include the base and gliding mechanism are preassembled. The few steps that are required before your child can begin exploring five exciting motions is attaching a center tube and the end caps that creates the cradle’s housing and zipping the fabric that your baby will rest in. Be sure the three-point harness is situated correctly. Then just pop the Toy Bar into its mounting hole and plug it in. That’s it, you’re done!
Follow these steps backwards to disassemble. Parents found the small box the mamaRoo is packaged in is the perfect size for storage without taking up a lot of space. Save the package so you can keep the unit in good condition for more children down the road!
- Compact Size – Measuring about 26 x 9 x 22, this 4moms bouncer is great for rooms with limited space. It comes in at a the lightweight of only 19 pounds which is perfect for moving your baby from room to room.
- It Reclines – Finding the perfect position for your baby to relax in is easy with this 4moms baby swing. Simply adjust the recline button at the rear of the base until you come to the perfect angle. There are many different angles you can use, making this a great choice if your child suffers from reflux.
The Not So Great:
- Cost –. The mamaRoo price ($220-$250) is considerably higher than many other products in the infant seat category from other manufacturers. We think with the level of technology and features this model has that the price point is right on target. It can be an investment for parents who are just beginning their journey to parenthood – diapers aren’t cheap right?! On the contrary, It can be an expensive gamble when you don’t even know if your new baby will enjoy the seat.
- Noise – This one seems to affect parents differently. Some find the humming noise from the motor too obtrusive while others don’t seem to mind. For babies who are extremely light sleepers, this can be an issue.
- Plug in Only – This 4moms bouncer relies on its power cord to be plugged into an electricity outlet. This can make portability an issue as you will be limited to rooms with easily accessible outlets if you plan to move the unit. We would love it if there was an option to use rechargeable batteries so areas around the home aren’t restricted.
There are currently two different models of the mamaRoo available for your family. The structure, technology and base are all identical – the difference is all in the fabric.
mamaRoo Classic Infant Seat
The classic version is available at an average cost of $220. This classic product is used my many parents and is among one of the most innovative baby products on the market today. As mentioned, the beauty of this product is that is allows babies to feel the same motion that they do when they are in their parents arms. 4moms mamaRoo reviews reveal that some parents feel the fabric used for the seat is made from a semi-rough material. Other parents mentioned that the material seemed to stick to their babies’s skin, making them sweat unnecessarily. Children who are fully clothed should have no problem getting cozy in the classic mamaRoo.
mamaRoo Multi Plush Infant Seat
The premium version, known as Multi Plush uses extremely soft, fleece material. You can typically find this extra-comfortable version for around $250. A few extra dollars doesn’t seem like a whole lot of money when you consider it is to boost your baby’s comfortability. We feel for the small additional cost, the mamaRoo Multi Plush Infant Seat is the better option due to the better quality fabric!
Enjoyed our article on mamaRoo reviews? Click here to read a detailed buying guide on baby swings as well as reviews on other awesome baby swings!